Web Content Viewer
Man in suit with hard hat

Firms & COA

Find information on getting your engineering and/or surveying company registered or renewed in Ohio

Featured in this section

All firms, including sole proprietorships, partnerships, associations, limited liability companies or corporations, providing, or offering to provide, engineering or surveying services in the state of Ohio needs a Certificate of Authorization (COA) from the State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Surveyors. You can find the legal requirements in Ohio R.C. section 4733.16 and Ohio A.C. section 4733-39. 

Regardless of the project size or cost, all companies must obtain a Certification of Authorization before offering or providing engineering and/or surveying services in Ohio.

Prior to registering with the State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Surveyors, all firms must register their firm name with the Ohio Secretary of State (unless you are a sole proprietor providing services under your personal name). 

A complete roster of active companies and firms between 07/01/2022 and 06/30/2024 can be found in the Forms and Publications section.